DR. RENISH GEEVARGHESE ABRAHAM
Designation: Assistant Professor, Department of English
B-2, Staff Quarters,
St. Stephen’s College
Delhi University Enclave,
Tel.: 011-27662168 / 011-27667200
- PhD (English Studies): University of Delhi, Delhi.
- MA (English Literature): Department of English, University of Delhi, Delhi.
- BA (English Language and Literature): Catholicate College, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala.
Topic of Doctoral Thesis: Missionary Literature and Community Formation in Nineteenth-Century Kerala
Teaching Experience: 10 Years.
Awards and Recognitions
- Visiting Lectureship at Soka University, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan in 2018.
- Westcott-Teape Lectureship at the University of Cambridge in 2017.
- Received Research Assistantship from the University of Delhi (Under UTA Scheme) from April 2011 to July 2012.
- Treasurer (Ex-officio), St. Stephen’s College Alumni Association since October 2017.
- Joint Secretary and Treasurer (Honorary), All India Association for Christian Higher Education (AIACHE) since May 2018.
- Treasurer (Honorary), Maximizing Employment to Serve the Handicapped (MESH), an
Indian Organization practicing Fair Trade since January 2019.
Areas of Interest
- Missiology, Missionary Literature, and the History of Christianity in the East.
- Renaissance and Eighteenth Century Literature.
- Critical theory and Cultural Studies.
- Indian Literature and Culture.
- Modern Literature: Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, D. H. Lawrence’s Sons and Lovers and Virginia Woolf’s Dalloway and T. S. Eliot’s Poetry
- Eighteenth-Century Poetry: Alexander Pope, Samuel Johnson, Oliver Goldsmith, Laurence Sterne and Thomas Gray
- Seventeenth-Century Literature: Shakespeare’s Macbeth, John Webster’s The Duchess of Malfi, John Milton’s Paradise Lost, and John Dryden’s Mac Flecknoe
- British Poetry and Drama (14-17 Century): Chaucer, Spenser, Donne, Shakespeare and Marlowe
- Literary Theory: Post-structuralism, Post-colonialism, Feminism, and New Historicism
- Language and Linguistics: The Structure of Language, Phonology, Morphology, Syntax and Semantics.
- Indian Classical Literature: The Mahabharata, Cilappatikaram, Abhijnana Shakuntalam and Mrichkatika
- European Classical Literature: Homer, Sophocles, Ovid, Horace and Plautus
- Tutored Twentieth-Century Novel paper (Joyce, Kafka, Marquez) to Postgraduate students.
- Book Review. Psalmic Odes from Apostolic Times: An Indian Monk’s Meditation.Francis Acharya. Ed. Bernard Kilroy. Vidyajyoti Journal of Theologiocal Reflections 83.9 (Delhi: ISPCK, 2019). (ISSN: 0970-1079).
- “Modernity and Islamic Self: A Study of Maulana Mohamed Ali’s Autobiography My Life: A Fragment” in Studies in Multicultural Literature. T Sai Chandra Mauli (Jaipur: Aavishkar, 2013), 242-254. (ISBN:978-81-7910-408-8).
- “The Problems of Rendering Classical Urdu Ghazals into English…” in Versos and Rectos. Ed. Lata Marina Varghese. Pathanamtitta: Catholicate College,2011, 72-90. (ISBN: 978-81-921377-0-4).
- Preface to an Autobiography. The Mission. Jogen Khan. (Shyamnagar: Bibliofili, 2011)
- Book Review. Spirituality of People’s Movements: A Christian Search in the Indian Context. Poulose Mangai. Vidyajyoti Journal of Theologiocal Reflections 76.12 (Delhi: ISPCK, 2012). (ISSN: 0970-1079).
- A Session titled “Who are we Kidding? The Indian Child as Audience” in a Conference on No Child’s Play: Literatures and/for Childhoods in Contemporary India organized by the Department of English, Lady Sri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi, on 16 March 2018.
- The plenary session of a workshop on Rethinking the Relevance of Religion in the Modern World organized by St. Stephen’s College in association with Delhi Brotherhood Society on 13 and 14 March 2017.
- Chaired and delivered the Opening remarks of the 3rd St. Stephen’s College public lecture on Science and Religion by Prof. Ross H Mackenzie, organized on 25 October 2016.
- A Session in a UGC-sponsored National Conference on Versos and Rectos: Translation and Re-creation Across Borders and Cultures organized by the Post Graduate Department of English, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala on 15 and 16 July 2010.
- Presented a paper titled “Parumala Thirumeni’s Urshlem Yatra Vivaranam: An Analysis” in a workshop on Travelogues in Indian Literature organized by the Department of English, University of Delhi on 5 and 6 December 2016.
- A Paper titled “Modernity and Islamic Self: A Study of Maulana Mohamed Ali’s Autobiography My Life: A Fragment” in a UGC, British Council, and Orient Blackswan—sponsored International Conference on Islam and English in India: Cultural, Literary, Pedagogic, Historical, Political and Philosophical Encounters organized by the Department of English, Hyderabad Central University, Hyderabad on 6, 7 and 8 September 2011.
- A Paper titled “Domestic Ideology and the Treatment of Sexuality in the Victorian Novel: A Study of Elizabeth Gaskell’s Mary Barton” in a UGC-sponsored National Seminar on Women’s Voices: A critical Investigation organized by the Department of English and Research Centre, Govt. Brennen College, Thalassery, Kerala on 12 and 13 August 2010.
- A Paper titled “The Problem of Translating Urdu Ghazals into English and their Postcolonial Redefinition” in a UGC-sponsored National Conference on Versos and Rectos: Translation and Re-creation Across Borders and Cultures organized by the Post Graduate Department of English, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala on 15and 16 July 2010.
- A Paper titled “Revisiting Khasi Literature and Culture in the Modern Context” in a UGC-sponsored National Conference on the Linguistic, Cultural and Artistic Heritage of the Tribal People of India organized by the Department of English, St. Dominic’s College, Kanjirapally, Kerala on 4 and 5 February 2010.
- Delivered a Lecture on “Tagore and Japan” on 16 October 2018 at Keio University, Shonan Fujisawa Campus (SFC), inaugurating an academic collaboration between St. Stephen’s College and Keio University, Japan.
- Delivered the following lectures at Soka University, Tokyo, Japan as Visiting Lecturer from 05 to 24 October 2018:
- The Impact of Ancient Sanskrit Classics on Goethe and the German Orientalists in the Nineteenth Century.
- The Economic Fundamentals of British Imperialism in India.
- Learning English and Indian Philosophy at St. Stephen’s College.
- Strategies and Conventions of Academic Writing.
- Tropes, Themes and Motifs in Fantasy Literature in the West.
- Delivered three public lectures on the topic “Negotiating Hinduism and Christianity in the History of Kerala” on 25, 26, and 27 October 2017 as Westcott-Teape Lecturer at the University of Cambridge.
- Conducted a Curriculum Enrichment Programme at the Department of English, Union Christian College, Shillong Meghalaya from 21-23 September 2015.
- A Special Lecture on the methodology of Literature at Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala on 29 December 2014.
- An inaugural lecture for the English Association on English Studies and Critical Theory at SPM College for Women, Delhi University in September 2012.
- Coordinated a three weeks course on “An Introduction to Indian Culture” for Japanese students from Soka University, Japan in February-March since 2014 for a period of six years
- Coordinated a 14 days course on “Entrepreneurship and Social Transformation in India” for Japanese students from Keio University in February-March 2019.
- Malayalam Travelogue Translation (Colonial Period) Project under the Centre for Academic Translation and Archiving, Department of English, University of Delhi.
- Bursar, Stephen’s College, (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Public Information Officer, St. Stephen’s College, (27 July 2019 to Present)
- Member, College Governing Body (Ex-officio) (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Member Secretary, College Finance Committee (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Coordinator, College Building Committee, (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Convener, Grievance Redressal Cell, St. Stephen’s College (1 April 2016 to Present)
- Member, Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Nodal Officer, National Scholarship Portal (25 September 2019 to Present)
- Nodal Officer, J&K Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (2018 to Present)
- Convener, College Purchase Committee (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Peer Team Member, Academic and Administrative Audit organized by Kristu Jayanti College (Autonomous), Bangalore on 29 and 30 August 2019.
- Member, Governing Body, Baring Union Christian College and Baring Union Christian College Association (BUCCA), Batala, Punjab since February 2020.
- Head, Department of English (09 January to 30 April 2017)
- Chairperson, College Café (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Coordinator, Centre for Languages, St. Stephen’s College (1 May 2014 to Present)
- Coordinator, Soka University-St. Stephen’s College Academic Partnership Programme (2013-Present)
- Coordinator, Keio University-St. Stephen’s College Academic Partnership Programme (2018-Present)
- Convener, Research Project Monitoring Committee (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Convener, College Bursary Committee (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Convener, Science Facilities Committee (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Associate Dean (Residence), (March 2015 to January 2016)
- Resident Tutor, Mukarji West Block, (1 July 2014 to 30 April 2015)
- Completed a 28 Days Orientation Programme in the Human Resources Development Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia, from 19 July to 16 August 2016.
- Completed the Palladium Kaplan Norton Balanced Scorecard Certification course from 11 to 22 May 2020.
- Completed a two weeks Refresher Course in English Language and Literature at the Human Resources Development Centre, University of Mumbai from 05 to 17 October 2020.
- Completed a two weeks Refresher Course in English Language and Literature at the Human Resources Development Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia from 26 November to 10 December 2020.
- Appointed President & Staff Adviser, Social Service League, St. Stephen’s College (24 July 2013 to Present).
- Appointed Staff Adviser, Malayalam Literary Society, St. Stephen’s College (24 July 2013 to Present).
- Appointed Staff Advisor, BA Programme Society, St. Stephen’s College from 1 September 2012 to 22 May 2013.
- Malayalam, English, German, Syriac