DR. RENISH GEEVARGHESE ABRAHAM
Designation: Assistant Professor, Department of English
Tutor’s Suite, Ground Floor,
Allnutt North Block,
St. Stephen’s College
Delhi University, Delhi-110007.
Email: [email protected]
Tel.: 011-27662168 / 011-27667200
- PhD (English Studies): University of Delhi, Delhi.
- MA (English Literature): Department of English, University of Delhi, Delhi.
- BA (English Language and Literature): Catholicate College, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala.
Topic of Doctoral Thesis: Missionary Literature and Community Formation in Nineteenth-Century Kerala
Teaching Experience: 7 Years.
Awards and Recognitions
- Received Research Assitantship from the University of Delhi (Under UTA Scheme) from April 2011 to July 2012.
Areas of Interest
- Missiology, Missionary Literature, and the History of Christianity in the East.
- Renaissance and Eighteenth Century Literature.
- Critical theory and Cultural Studies.
- Modern Literature: Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, D. H. Lawrence’s Sons and Lovers and Virginia Woolf’s Dalloway
- Eighteenth-Century Poetry: Alexander Pope, Samuel Johnson, Oliver Goldsmith and Thomas Gray
- Seventeenth-Century Literature: John Webster’s The Duchess of Malfi, John Milton’s Paradise Lost, and John Dryden’s Mac Flecknoe
- British Poetry and Drama (14-17 Century): Chaucer, Spenser, Donne, Shakespeare and Marlowe
- Literary Theory: Post-structuralism, Post-colonialism, Feminism, and New Historicism
- Language and Linguistics: The Structure of Language, Phonology, Morphology, Syntax and Semantics.
- Indian Classical Literature: The Mahabharata, Cilappatikaram, Abhijnana Shakuntalam and Mrichkatika
- European Classical Literature: Homer, Sophocles, Ovid, Horace and Plautus
- Tutored Twentieth-Century Novel paper (Joyce, Kafka, Marquez) to Postgraduate students.
- “Modernity and Islamic Self: A Study of Maulana Mohamed Ali’s Autobiography My Life: A Fragment” in Studies in Multicultural Literature. T Sai Chandra Mauli (Jaipur: Aavishkar, 2013), 242-254. (ISBN:978-81-7910-408-8).
- “The Problems of Rendering Classical Urdu Ghazals into English…” in Versos and Rectos. Ed. Lata Marina Varghese. Pathanamtitta: Catholicate College,2011, 72-90. (ISBN: 978-81-921377-0-4).
- Preface to an Autobiography. The Mission. Jogen Khan. (Shyamnagar: Bibliofili, 2011)
- Spirituality of People’s Movements: A Christian Search in the Indian Context. Poulose Mangai. Vidyajyoti Journal of Theologiocal Reflections 76.12 (Delhi: ISPCK, 2012). (ISSN: 0970-1079).
- The plenary session of a workshop on Rethinking the Relevance of Religion in the Modern World organized by St. Stephen’s College in association with Delhi Brotherhood Society on 13 and 14 March 2017.
- A Session in a UGC-sponsored National Conference on Versos and Rectos: Translation and Re-creation Across Borders and Cultures organized by the Post Graduate Department of English, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala on 15 and 16 July 2010.
- Presented a paper titled “Parumala Thirumeni’s Urshlem Yatra Vivaranam: An Analysis” in a workshop on Travelogues in Indian Literature organized by the Department of English, University of Delhi on 5 and 6 December 2016.
- A Paper titled “Modernity and Islamic Self: A Study of Maulana Mohamed Ali’s Autobiography My Life: A Fragment” in a UGC, British Council, and Orient Blackswan—sponsored International Conference on Islam and English in India: Cultural, Literary, Pedagogic, Historical, Political and Philosophical Encounters organized by the Department of English, Hyderabad Central University, Hyderabad on 6, 7 and 8 September 2011.
- A Paper titled “Domestic Ideology and the Treatment of Sexuality in the Victorian Novel: A Study of Elizabeth Gaskell’s Mary Barton” in a UGC-sponsored National Seminar on Women’s Voices: A critical Investigation organized by the Department of English and Research Centre, Govt. Brennen College, Thalassery, Kerala on 12 and 13 August 2010.
- A Paper titled “The Problem of Translating Urdu Ghazals into English and their Postcolonial Redefinition” in a UGC-sponsored National Conference on Versos and Rectos: Translation and Re-creation Across Borders and Cultures organized by the Post Graduate Department of English, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala on 15and 16 July 2010.
- A Paper titled “Revisiting Khasi Literature and Culture in the Modern Context” in a UGC-sponsored National Conference on the Linguistic, Cultural and Artistic Heritage of the Tribal People of India organized by the Department of English, St. Dominic’s College, Kanjirapally, Kerala on 4 and 5 February 2010.
- Conducted a Curriculum Enrichment Programme at the Department of English, Union Christian College, Shillong Meghalaya from 21-23 September 2015.
- A Special Lecture on the methodology of Literature at Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala on 29 December 2014.
- An inaugural lecture for the English Association on English Studies and Critical Theory at SPM College for Women, Delhi University in September 2012.
- Malayalam Travelogue Translation (Colonial Period) Project under the Centre for Academic Translation and Archiving, Department of English, University of Delhi.
- Bursar, Stephen’s College, (11 January 2016 to Present)
- Head, Department of English (09 January to 30 April 2017)
- Convenor, Grievance Redressal Cell, St. Stephen’s College (1 April 2016 to Present)
- Coordinator, Centre for Languages, St. Stephen’s College (1 May 2014 to Present)
- Coordinator, Soka University-St. Stephen’s College Academic Partnership Programme (2013-Present)
- Associate Dean (Residence), (March 2015 to January 2016)
- Resident Tutor, Mukarji West Block, (1 July 2014 to 30 April 2015)
- Completed a 28 Days Orientation Programme in the Human Resources Development Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia, from 19 July to 16 August 2016.
- Appointed President & Staff Adviser, Social Service League, St. Stephen’s College (24 July 2013 to Present).
- Appointed Staff Adviser, Malayalam Literary Society, St. Stephen’s College (24 July 2013 to Present).
- Appointed Staff Advisor, BA Programme Society, St. Stephen’s College from 1 September 2012 to 22 May 2013.
- Malayalam, English, German, Syriac