Mathematics is an extremely versatile subject that can be found and applied everywhere. Ranging from philosophy, economics, and Science to poetry, maths can be incorporated into any field. This enormity of the subject paves the way for a wide scope of notions, innovations and mutations. The main aim of Mathematics Society is to explore the pure and applied aspects of Mathematics outside the quotidian curriculum. We reach out to people of related subjects through talks, seminars, conferences, workshops, and competitions (guesstimates, mathematical quizzes, treasure hunts, online hunts, etc.), and give them a glimpse into the eclectic world of Mathematics. We also hold pure Maths events for those who are inclined towards research.
Throughout the year, our society conducts a number of fun-packed events, workshops, and discussions.
In the odd semester we have 5 events:
1. Bezerka: A theme-based puzzle-solving event that brings out the fun side of the subject as well as tests the logical skills of the participants.
2. Prof. SB Mathur Lecture Series: A 2-day-long event that hosts eminent professors to deliver lectures on various branches of Mathematics so as to increase awareness and diversity of the subject.
3. Event X: This event is ideated from the scratch every year. Last year, we organized X-Tra Innings, an event that brought together Mathematics and cricket enthusiasts to discover the connection between the two fields.
4. Treasure Hunt: The flagship event of Mathematics society, where intrepid fortune hunters embark on an exciting analytical journey to seek and decipher clues that will lead them to the treasure.
5. Professor Nagpaul Fellowship: The event is a collaboration between a group of students and a professor who work together to produce a research paper on a topic in Mathematics. This event provides mathematically motivated students an opportunity to develop an interest in research as well as a chance to nurture their interest.
In the even semester we have 3 more fun-filled events:
1. MathSoc Open: An event in collaboration with the official World Cube Association which involves cubing with sub-events like 2*2, 3*3, 4*4, 5*5, Pyraminx,Megaminx, Skewb, Blindfold Rubik’s Cube solving, etc.
2. Integration: The annual fest of the Mathematics society, which consists of four exhilarating mathematical events filled with fun and creativity.
3. Symposium: A three-day lecture series that would see students and professors from varied academic backgrounds coming together and sharing their knowledge on a common platform.
We have a 15-member council currently, a group of highly dedicated individuals working together throughout the year to bring new and exciting events, games, treasure hunts, and guesstimates on Maths and everything related to it!
Third Year Council
1. President: Reva Chhabra
2. Vice President: Akshita Kumar
3. General Secretary: Amal Rajan Mathew
4. Director: Finance and PR : Ishita Pundir
5. Director: Editorial Board and Talks: Rayyan Ahmed
Second Year council:
Treasurer: Anora Anna Titus
1. Abhinav Mor
2. Achuthkrishnan M
3. Amos Joseph
4. Pratham Chawla
5. Reyna Prasad
6. Satvik Sharma
7. Sharon James
8. Shubham Agarwal
9. Simone Singh