Name: Nandita Narain
Designation: Associate professor
|Institution||Exam Passed (Year)||Board/University||Subjects||Div/Grade||Rank in University|
|Convent of Jesus and Mary, New Delhi||Indian School Certificate (1975)||Cambridge||English Literature, English Language, Hindi, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Commerce||I (7 points) 80%||–|
|St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University||B.A.(Hons) (1979)||Delhi University||Mathematics||I (91.5%)||Second Rank in University|
|St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University||M.A. (1981)||Delhi University||Mathematics||GPA 5.7 out of 6.00 (95%) Grade ‘O’ (Outstanding)||First rank, First position in MA & M.Sc. (All Subjects) 5 Gold Medals|
Co-Curricular Activities While in College
- Member of Theatre Action Group, Delhi, with Barry John, and Shakespeare Society , St. Stephen’s College. Played Antigone in “Antigone”, Bianca in “Taming of the Shrew” and Lady Macbeth (in College Annual Productions)
- Represented College in Debating, Vocal Music, Table Tennis, Athletics and Judo
- Member of College Students’ Council(1977-79) and elected student representative in Delhi University Academic Council (1978-79)
- Student Member of Committee of Courses, Department of Mathematics, 1979-80
Awards and Prizes
- De Sales’ Cup for Best All-Round Student of Convent of Jesus and Mary, 1975.
- Certificate of Merit by Government of India for high position in Indian School Certificate Examination.
- Prize for sportsman(or woman) with highest scholastic attainment in College, 1978-79
- All-India Scholarship on basis of result in B.A.(Hons) Examination
- Sudarshan Memorial Prize for Best All-Round Student of Mathematics in College, 1978-79
- Ravi Kanta Devi Prize for the Best Woman Student in the University, 1979
- Maharajja Laxman Sen Memorial Prize for Best Student in M.A./M.Sc. Mathematics in College, 1981
- Five Gold Medals ( M.Makhan Lal Medal, Smt Sivakamamma Radhakrishnan Medal, Shri Ram Chandra Singal Memorial Medal, J.N.Mitra Memorial Medal, Prof Ram Behari Medal ) awarded by Delhi University for obtaining the highest marks in the M.A./ M.sc. Examination (all subjects), 1981
- The Inlaks Scholarship for further studies in Mathematics and Philosophy at New College, Oxford, 1980.
Academic Positions Held
Lecturer in Mathematics in St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University, since August 1981 till date. Lecturer in Readers grade since 1997. Associate Professor since 2010. Head of the Mathematics Department, St. Stephen’s College, from 1998 till 2005 and 2007 till 2013.
Real Analysis, Modern Algebra, Lattice theory, Probability Theory, Metric Spaces, Mechanics, Differential Equations and Calculus.
B.A./B.Sc. (Hons) Mathematics, B.Sc. (Hons) Physics, B.Sc. (Programme)
Administrative Positions Held in College
- Dean of Residence : Given responsibility of six residential blocks and the Mess 2007-2010
- Tutor for Admissions : 2009 and 2010
- Public Information Officer: 2008
- Media Adviser : 2009-10
- Convener, Karamchari Welfare Committee : 2007-8
Co-Curricular Activities as Faculty Member in College
- Staff Adviser, Judo Club (1981-86)
- Staff Adviser, Finance, Shakespeare Society (1981-82)
- Staff Adviser, Mathematics Society
- Member, College Choir (2006-2009)
- Participated in Faculty Production , “Ek Tha Gadha” (2005)
Positions Held in Statutory Bodies
- Elected Teacher Representative on College Governing Body several times, including at present
- Elected Teacher Representative on Delhi University Academic Council (1992-1996)
- Elected Teacher Representative on Delhi University Executive Council (1996-2000)
- Member of Faculty of Mathematics, Delhi University (by rotation)
- Member of Committee of Courses, Department of Mathematics (by rotation)
Member of following committees during tenure in Academic /Executive Council
- Working Group set up by VC on “Improvement of Teaching and Research “, under Prof Andre Beteille
- Working Group set up by VC on ” Interaction of University with Industry”, under Visitor’s Nominee Mr. Abid Hussain.
- Committee for formulating new Science Syllabus, under Prof P.K. Srivastava
- Committee for Formulating Guidelines and Ordinance Against Sexual Harassment, under Prof Sushiela Kaushik and Prof Malashri Lal, that formulated the draft for Ordinance XV(D) in 2004.
- Working Group for Formulating Guidelines for Membership and Composition of Governing Bodies, under Mr Abid Hussain
- Working Group on Governance (under Chancellor’s Nominee Prof P.N. Srivastava)
- Working Group on Promotional Avenues for Teachers(under Prof R.K.Agnihotri)
- Committee for Setting up Bookshop in DU
- Advisory Council for Board of Hindi Medium Implementation
- Advisory Council for Department of Adult Education
- Publications Advisory Board
- House Allotment Advisory Committee(under PVC)
- Anomalies Committee( under PVC)
- Committee for Drafting Amendments to Statutes and Ordinances as consequence of UGC notifications (under PVC)
- Committee for Implementation of Roster for Reservation for SC/ST (under Visitor’s Nominee Mr. A S Padmanabhan)
- Committee for formulating criteria for calling candidates for interview for lecturers’ posts(under PVC)
- Committee for forming University Panel for membership of Governing Bodies (under PVC)
- Provident Fund Committee
- Committee for Looking into demand of DUCLSA(Lab Staff) for 100% Promotion
- Standing Committee (Students)
- Committee for Welfare of PWD
Positions Held in Teachers’ Union
- Elected member of Executive Committee of Delhi University Teachers’ Association (1987-89)
- President, Delhi University Teachers’ Association (2013-15 and 2015-17)
- President, Federation Of Central Universities Teachers Associations(2015-16 and 2016-17)
Foreign Languages Known
- Passed the two-year diploma course in Japanese from the Department of Chinese and Japanese Studies, University of Delhi (1985-87) with distinction, obtaining 466 marks out of 600.
- Was awarded first prize in a Japanese Language Speech Contest (Junior Group) organised by the Mombusho Scholars Association of India at the Japan Cultural Centre in New Delhi, in November 1986
- Ist Division in Japanese Language Proficiency Test (Level 3) administered by Japan Foundation and Association of International Education, Japan (1987)
Papers/ Invited Lectures/ Workshops/Conferences
- Article on “Restructuring of Undergraduate Education” published in UGC Journal of Higher Education , Summer Volume, 1996
- Panel Speaker in National Seminar “Towards a More Tolerant World” organised by the Indian Humanist Union at the India International Centre, during 1995 United Nations Year for Tolerance.
- Article on “Promoting Tolerance through Education” published in the Humanist Outlook, 1996, Winter Volume.
- Panel speaker at Rakesh Bharadwaj Memorial Lecture on Governance of Colleges at Motilal Nehru College, 1997
- DUTA seminar on Accountability and Academic Reform as resource person and panel speaker in 1997 and 1999.
- Presented paper on University Organisation in Seminar on Higher education in College of Vocational Studies, 1998
- Resource person in CPDHE Orientation course on the role of the Executive Council, 1998
- Resource person and Chairperson of concluding session in National Seminar on “Humanities and Social Sciences in Higher Education Policy: Challenges and Response” organised by I P College Platinum Jubilee Committee at the India International Centre, 1999
- Invited Speaker at AIFUCTO National Seminar on Challenges in Higher Education in Chandigarh, October 2014
- Invited Speaker at WBCUTA State Conference at Calcutta, December 2014
- Keynote speaker at Conference organised by Rajasthan Central University, August 2015
- Keynote Speaker at State Conference organised by Women’s Cell Assam College Teachers’ Association at Nalbari, Assam, September, 2015
- Invited Speaker at State Conference organised by Himachal Pradesh College Teachers Association at Shimla, in September, 2015
- Invited speaker at State Conference of Rajasthan School Teachers Federation, held at Sardarshahar, Rajasthan, in November, 2015
- Invited Speaker at AIFUCTO National Conference on Higher Education held at Ambaji, Gujarat, in December, 2015
- Keynote Speaker at State conference of West Bengal Primary School Teachers Association, Calcutta, in January 2016
- Panel Speaker at Seminar on Policies to Prevent Sexual Harassment at Dr Hari Singh Gour Central University at Sagar, February 2016
- Keynote Speaker at Seminar on Higher Education organised by the LUACTA at Lucknow, in September 2016
- Keynote Speaker at State Conference of All Kerala College Teachers’ Association at Kasargod, Kerala, in November, 2016
- Invited Speaker at AIFUCTO National Seminar on New Education Policy at Guwahati, Assam, in December, 2016
- Invited Speaker at National Seminar on Higher Education at Sikkim University, Gangtok, in May, 2017
- Resource Person at Workshop on Higher Education Policy at Central University of Kerala, Kasaragod, June 2017
- Invited Speaker at AIFUCTO National Seminar in Shirdi, in December 2017
- Invited Speaker at UGC workshop on Autonomous Colleges at Imphal College, Imphal, Manipur, in June 2018.
- Invited Speaker at JNUTA National Convention, Deputy Speaker’s Hall, Constitution Club, New Delhi, August 2018
- Invited Speaker at AIFRTE National Convention on Education at Patna, in September, 2018
- Invited Speaker at Seminar on Exclusion in Higher Education organised by Mr Harsh Mander, at India International Centre, New Delhi, October, 2018.