Name: John Varghese
Department: Department of English
- Doctorate in English Literature, from the English and Foreign Languages University (formerly Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages), Hyderabad, India.
- M.Phil in English Language and Literature from the Madras Christian College, Chennai, India.
- Master of Arts in English Literature from the Loyola College, Chennai, India.
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature from the Loyola College, Chennai, India.
- Diplome in French from the Alliance Franςaise, Chennai., India.
a) includes teaching, research and research supervision, materials production print, audio and audiovisual.
- Head, Department of Communication. Taught courses on Media, Communication, Radio Broadcasting English Language and English Literature at the English and Foreign Languages University (EFL University) for undergraduates (BA), post-graduates (MA) and specialized teacher-training programmes. (1996 to 2006 and from 2009 to February 2016).
- Taught English Language and Literature at George Mason University, Ras Al Khaimah campus, United Arab Emirates, to undergraduate students, from August 2006 to July 2009.
- Taught English Language and Literature to undergraduate students at St Stephen’s College, Delhi, India (1990 – 1993).
- Taught English language to undergraduate students at Loyola Evening College, Chennai, India (1990).
- Taught government officials in Cambodia, on behalf of the Government of India, an English language proficiency course (June 2004).
b) Research & Research Supervision & Evaluation
- Supervised two M Phil research projects in the areas of British & XVIII century British Fiction at the English and Foreign Languages University. Hyderabad.
- Was joint supervisor for two Ph D research projects on British and American fiction, respectively at the English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad.
- Was examiner for a Ph D Thesis in English Literature at Chhatrapathi Shahu Maharaj University, Kanpur.
- Article in Languaging – Refereed journal on English language and Literature – on English Language Teaching.
- Innovation at the Tertiary Level: Two steps to success. Article for NAAC, (to be published)
c) Materials/Materials Production
- Edited Tess of the d’Ubervilles: A Student’s Edition. (Orient Black Swan, India, 2013)
- Co-authored The Basics of Spoken English for beginners of Spoken English. (YFC Youth Development Centre, Hyderabad, India, 2012)
- Co-authored Strengthen Your English a college level English Language Text Book for the Students of JN technical University, Kakinda, India. (Maruthi Publications, 2010)
- Co-authored Contemporary Literary Theory: A Student’s Companion (Macmillan,India, 2001).
- Scripted and produced thirty audio programmes in English which were broadcast over AIR (All India Radio), Hyderabad.
- Scripted and produced two television programmes for learners of English, commissioned by the University Grants Commission. These programmes went on to become the Official Selection from India for the educational documentary film festival at Pietrasanta, Italy in 2007. Also the best entry in the UGC-CEC documentary film festival, Goa.
- Voice-overs for over a hundred short films which include UGC educational films, documentary films and a few ad films.
- Assisted in the production and evaluation of NELTS – an INDIA-wide English language proficiency test.
d) Administrative Responsibilities
- Currently Principal, St Stephen’s College, Delhi. 110007.
- Deputy Dean, International Relations, EFL University. 2014 to 2016.
- Dean-in-charge, International Relations, EFL University :2012 to 2013. Responsibilities included initiating preliminary discussions for academic collaborations between EFL University and other Universities. These collaborations included student and faculty exchanges, student study trips to partnering Universities and academic collaborations. Over twelve Universities from Europe, USA, and Asian regions currently participate in the international programme and continue to do so. We are in the process of linking up with several other universities, after due diligence.
- Dean, School of Communication, EFL University: 2012 to 2014. Academic and administrative decisions at graduate, masters and research levels.
- Protocol Officer, EFL University: Responsible for all activities involving protocol. 2012 to date. Receiving of VVIPs, VIPs and foreign and official delegations. Also authored the first ever Protocol Handbook for the EFL University.
- Placement Officer, EFL University: 2010 – 2011: A very successful tenure with corporate establishments coming to campus for recruitment for the first time in a large way. Over 120 placements in a batch of 900 outgoing students. Brought in several new innovations like preparatory lectures for candidates and a database for recruiters.
- Warden, Tagore International Men’s Hostel, EFL University.
Between 2009 and 2010 was the Warden for the Tagore International Men’s Hostel. Introduced several new procedures and systems which are still in use at the hostel.
e) Corporate Training and membership of Bodies. Boards.
- Conducted several training programmes in Communication Skills/English Language for Government Agencies in India including Prasar Bharati and National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management, Hyderabad, Telangana State.
- Member of the Board on Language Assessment for the DGCA, Government of India.
- Member of the Governing Board of Kota University, Rajasthan, nominee of the Visitor of the University/Governor of Rajasthan.
- Member of the Senate, University of Rajasthan.