1.Name of the Department: CHEMISTRY
Dr. Vibha Sharma,
M.Sc, Ph.D. (Delhi) – Head
Dr. Rene Saksena,
M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph. D. (Delhi)
Dr. Satish Kumar,
M.Sc. (Delhi), Ph.D. (IIT Delhi)
Dr. Ekta Arora,
M.Sc., Ph.D. (Delhi)
Dr. Rakhi Thareja,
M.Sc. (Delhi), Ph.D. (Delhi)
Dr. Violet Rajeshwari Macwan,
M.Sc., M.Phil. (Delhi), Ph.D.
- Programmes (degrees) offered:
- Sc. Honours Chemistry (six semester course)
- Sc. Programme with Chemistry (six semester course)
Courses: (Undergraduate CBCS System)
Core Papers (C):
- Inorganic Chemistry I: Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding
- Physical Chemistry I: States of Matter & Ionic Equilibrium
- Organic Chemistry I: Basics and Hydrocarbons
- Physical Chemistry II: Chemical Thermodynamics and its Applications
- Inorganic Chemistry II: s- and p-Block Elements
- Organic Chemistry II: Oxygen Containing Functional Groups
- Physical Chemistry III: Phase Equilibria and Electrochemical Cells
- Inorganic Chemistry III: Coordination Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry III: Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry IV: Conductance & Chemical Kinetics
- Organic Chemistry IV: Biomolecules
- Physical Chemistry V: Quantum Chemistry & Spectroscopy
- Inorganic Chemistry IV: Organometallic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry V: Spectroscopy
Discipline Specific Elective Papers:(4 papers to be selected)
DSE 1-4 DSE 1: Any one of the following
- Novel Inorganic Solids
- Inorganic Materials of Industrial Importance
DSE 2-4: Any three of the following
- Applications of Computers in Chemistry
- Analytical Methods in Chemistry
- Molecular Modelling & Drug Design
- Polymer Chemistry
- Research Methodology for Chemistry
- Green Chemistry
- Industrial Chemicals & Environment
- Instrumental Methods of Analysis
Skill Enhancement Courses (2 to 4 papers)
SEC1 to SEC4
- IT Skills for Chemists
- Basic Analytical Chemistry
- Chemical Technology & Society
- Business Skills for Chemists
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Analytical Clinical Biochemistry
- Green Methods in Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Chemistry of Cosmetics & Perfumes
- Pesticide Chemistry
- Fuel Chemistry
- Any special project(s)/facilities that the Department offers:
- Faculty have projects funded by the DST/UGC.
- Innovation projects funded by University of Delhi.
- Students are encouraged to take up small Literature survey based, Experimental and Molecular modelling based Projects under supervision of the faculty.
List of Research projects in last five years and ongoing:
- UGC funded Major Research Project entitled “Synthesis, Characterization and Applications of Novel Heterocyclic Compounds of Transition Metal Ions”, Dr. Vibha Sharma & Dr. Ekta Kundra Arora, 2013-2017 (ongoing).
- UGC funded Major Research Project entitled “Design and synthesis of photoreversible ionophores for detection and separation of heavy metal ions”, Dr. Satish Kumar, 2012-2015.
- DST/SERB funded Fast Track Young Scientist Research Project entitled “Development of photoreversible chelators for detection of heavy metal ions”, Dr. Satish Kumar, 2012.
Delhi University Innovation Projects 2012-2016:
- Insilico and Invitro studies of economically important Begomoviruses in Indian Fruits and Vegetables, SSC 301, Dr. Rakhi Thareja, Dr. Rashmi Sachdeva, Dr. Veena Beri.(ongoing)
- Smart medicines: Investigation of Physico-chemical and Nanoscale properties of materials and Study of Mathematics of dilution with respect to Homeopathy, SSC 302, Dr. Ekta Kundra Arora, Dr. Vibha Sharma, Dr. Annu Malhotra, Dr. Sonali Batra.(ongoing)
- Digit-Varan: A Comprehensive Digital Environment for Visually Challenged Students, SSC 202, Satish Kumar and Dr. Sanjay Kumar.(completed)
- Molecular Design, Synthesis, Characterization and Applications of Macrocyclic Compounds, SSC -101, Dr. Vibha Sharma, Dr. Ekta Kundra Arora and Dr. Geetanjali Sethi. (completed)
- Development of new reagents for detection of anions in water, SSC 102, Dr. Satish Kumar, Mr. K. M. Mathew and Ms. Violet R. Macwan, Dr. Maria Thomas.(completed)
- Devices based on Photomicrolithography and Nano Carbon Materials, SSC 105, Dr. S. V. Eswaran, Dr. Shabnam Johry, Dr. Harish Yadav.(completed)
- Student profile: (at entry level and after they graduate):
Students come from diverse backgrounds ( also different Central & State Boards with different Syllabi & medium of instruction) from all over India. The dedicated and conscientious faculty caters to this heterogeneous mix of students such that all of them do well and some excel in their subject. Many of our students are University toppers or rank holders in Delhi University. 80% of the students take up internships (summer/winter) in national and international labs of repute and hone their experimental skills. About 85% students clear various entrance examinations for post-graduation in various prestigious universities including, IISc, IITs, TIFR etc. Some students continue their post- graduation and integrated Ph. D. courses abroad in various Universities of repute in UK, Europe, USA, Japan, Australia. Some notable ones are University of Chicago, Cornell, Ohio, Stony Brook, SUNY Buffalo, Maryland, Osaka, Stanford, Cambridge, Oxford, Institute of Max Plank and Trinity College, Dublin to name a few. Many among them pursue research and are placed with reputed companies or in academic positions in various institutes. Some students also shift to management and continue post- graduation from IIM’s and other reputed institutes. Some students take up law as a career and some join the civil services. To name a few students from the batch of 2016, some have joined post graduate courses: Surabhi Agrawal at University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK; Sijo Abraham at École Polytechnique, Paris, France; Kirti Sharma at University College, Dublin, Ireland; Harman Malhotra at UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, Ireland; Harshit Arora and Nijita Mathew at JNCASR, Bengaluru; Sukrita Deb at TIFR, Mumbai; Roshni Varghese at IISER, Thiruvananthpuram; Joshua Baskaran at School of Computational and Integrative Sciences, JNU, Delhi; Dilsheen Kaur Sahni, Jasleen Kaur, Pulkit Joshi, Rajat Rodney and Shubham Kaushik, University of Delhi, Delhi and Ananya Manchanda, Science and Philosophy at London School of Economics, London.
- Related Society/ies: Chemistry Society
The Chemistry Society plans and incorporates exciting and innovative activities and ventures after discussion with all stakeholders. The activities usually begin with an Inaugural Popular Talk, delivered by a scientist of repute on a latest research area. Regular lectures are arranged for students to engage with top chemists and researchers. Visits to reputed labs, institutions and industry are undertaken annually to get a feel of the real working world outside college and provide the necessary scientific exposure to students. Intra-College paper presentation and the Inter-college paper presentation provide the students with a platform to present a paper on their own research work or any other topic of interest in science and also gives them a chance to learn and interact with students of other colleges. The Annual Chemistry Fest along with lectures, has a fun component associated with it in the form of ’Treasure Hunt’ based on chemistry clues, a quiz competition, photography competitions based on chemistry themes and so on. The society has a strong alumni connect programme.
The Society publishes its annual magazine ‘Oxygen’ which features a series of articles on different topics in general science and recent research particularly in chemistry. Creative minds usually spare a lot of their time in bringing out ‘Oxygen’ which is a very successful journal.
- Awards/recognition received by the Department:
- Ekta Kundra Arora, Dr. Vibha Sharma, Dr. Annu Malhotra, Ms. Sonali Batra awarded “Certificate of appreciation” for the Innovation Project SSC 302, University of Delhi, 2016.
- Rakhi Thareja, Third prize for oral presentation award, ETFC-2016, KMC, and Third prize for oral presentation at the National Conference “Emerging economics and challenges to sustainability towards developing Nation” ,Aurobindo College,DU
- Vibha Sharma, Teacher of Distinction award, University of Delhi, 2009.
- Industry partnerships: N/A
- International partnerships: In process
- Patents: N/A
- Conferences/seminars conducted:
- Workshop on “Environmental Health Awareness Programme” a college sensitization programme on environmental health by the Chemistry department in association with the Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance and Public Health Foundation of India, October 1, 2016.
- Workshop on “Computer Aided Molecular Modeling and Drug Discovery” hosted by Department of Chemistry, St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University and co-organized by Schrödinger, July 25-26, 2016.
- A poster presentation competition on Environmental awareness organized by the Chemistry Society, September 2015.
- National Conference in Chemistry on Structure, Reaction Dynamics and Spectroscopy, August 21-23, 2008.
- Social outreach programmes: Students are actively involved in various programmes which benefit society at large.
- Social Service programmes
- Blood donation camps
- Wildlife society activities.
- Spread awareness about Environmental Issues
- Outstanding alumni: A long list of distinguished alumni of Chemistry Department, to name a few:
- Gurmeet Singh, Head, Chemistry Department, Delhi University
- Charusita Chakravarty,Chemistry Department, IIT Delhi
- Nuzhat Hassan, I.G.(Admin) Arunachal Pradesh
- Ajeet Bajaj, Padmashree awardee,2012
- Aman Sethi, Formarly with The Hindu and Bussiness Standard (Youth Award, Sahitya Academy)
- Sarbajit Banerjee, Texax A&M University
- Anu Chaudhary, Professor in Microbiology at the University of Washington
- Ajeet Sethi, Cabinet Secretary, Government of India
- Sarah Iqbal, Public Engagement Officer , Wellcome Trust DBT,India Alliance
- Sanjay Chaturvedi, Healthcare and Cleantech Executive, Pune Area, India.
- Muzaffar Imtiaz, Deputy Secretary, Government of Delhi
- Sonal Baid, Rewards Advisor at Deutsche Bank
- Ms. Risha Oberai, Unit Manager – Direct-to-Consumer Business at Procter & Gamble
Chemistry Dept. Report (PDF document)
Chemistry Dept. Report (Excel document)